Saturday, May 22, 2021

'21/#18 And So It Begins

 I am sitting here all alone, having some lunch, and contemplating life before I start my first day of work. Mary went in earlier in a different part of the amusement park so we will compare notes later. We figured it would take until our training is done and the park is going full tilt until our schedules sync.

The past week was fun and productive. We are finding our way around, picking our favorite stores, and seeing some of the sights. Our time will mostly be spent between Buffalo and Rochester along the I-90 corridor. 

Parts of the interstate system up here are toll roads as more and more around the country are becoming. Traveling with a truck and trailer can get expensive on these roads. With the old RV we had a total of five axles and now we are down to four axles. On the principle of things I have always tried to avoid toll roads since I am paying taxes through my tags, license, fuel, and any other way that the government could dip into my wallet. I have also resisted purchasing a toll transponder for the same reason plus the fact that many states use different transponder systems. I didn't want a row of transponders across my windshield so I could travel about the country.

Well I finally broke down. Florida dinged me on a surface road in Tampa that apparently is part of the ramp to the toll road. By the time our mail was forwarded to us the toll was late and had accrued late fees more than doubling the actual toll. One of the things to consider when fulltime RVing. Not knowing the roads around north west New York I wound up on a bridge that was a "toll by tag". Having to take care of it by phone pushed me to buy an EZ-Pass. At least EZ-Pass is accepted by most states in the north east  and is working its way down the east coast. Florida, as backwards as they are, is actually accepting EZ-pass on some of their roads. I held out as long as I could but finally gave in.

I am going to sign off now beacuse it is time for me to get ready for work here at our home in Darien Lakes because.....

Home is where we park it,

Frank and Mary

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your posts; can't wait to hear about both of your jobs and the people you encounter at the park. Good luck and enjoy your time off together for more exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you guys, big brother is everywhere :) Have fun and keep the posts coming!

    John and Mia (The Cat)

    ReplyDelete