Sunday, November 24, 2019

'19/#38 Thankful? Oh Yeah! But...

It is that time of year when we eat too much food, watch too much TV, and give thanks for all we have. Our Thanksgivings have been scaled down to just the two of us over the past few years. We have the traditional eats on the table in moderation, watch the Macy's parade, and get in touch with the people we are thankful to have in our lives. We also give thanks for our health and the ability to live the lifestyle that we have chosen. A quiet day for the two of us to reflect on all we have has become our Thanksgiving.

Soon we will be in Christmas and Hanukkah mode. The decorations will be pulled out and cards will be written and sent spreading wishes to all this holiday season. The week after Thanksgiving we will decorate the house and start preparing for Christmas and Hanukkah. We have the DVR all set to record our favorite Holiday movies, shows, and cartoons to binge watch all Christmas week before we welcome the New Year.

 It all goes by so fast, why would anyone want to rush it even more? Apparently some one's calender is on fast forward because in addition to all the early Christmas merchandise that has been in the stores Christmas carols are starting up with a vengeance. Am I the only one who thinks it is too early for Christmas carols? I always thought that the Christmas season started after Thanksgiving when Santa arrived on his sleigh to close the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! The big tree at Rockefeller Center is lit on December 4th and the tree on the grounds of the White House in Washington D.C. is lit on December 5th so why are we listening to Christmas carols a week before Thanksgiving? Why have the Black Friday sales been going on for two weeks?

 The all mighty dollar is ruining everything that is good about spending the holidays with family and friends and I for one am sick of it. I will NOT shop on Black Friday, I will NOT play Christmas music before December 1st, I will NOT decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving, and I will NOT judge the quality of the holidays by the gifts I did or did not give or receive! I will stay in touch with friends and family, I will try to get in touch with people I haven't heard from or seen in a while, and I will reflect on all that I have in my life that is not measured by a number on a cash register or a bank account.

So this is Happy Thanksgiving and a wish that you have much to be thankful for from our home in Pharr Texas because.....

Home is where we park it,
Frank and Mary

1 comment:

  1. Guys, Happy Thanksgiving. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, as well.

    John and Mia

    ReplyDelete