Tuesday, May 11, 2010

#58 Hey Toto! We're Not In Florida Anymore

With me spending the last 20+ years & Mary 30+ years there I guess you could call Florida our home base. I hear that the weather is starting to warm up into the high 80's but up here in the mountains of VA the weather has turned in the other direction. We've had highs around 60 & lows in the low 40's & now it has started to rain. Cold & rainy....another excuse not to get out of bed.

The weekend, even though chilly, was clear so I got some work done on the truck. I finally got my on-board air compressor installed. This project has been on the list for the last 18 months, but between work(I was not yet retired), back surgery, & the "help" of well meaning friends I never seemed to get around to it. Now that we are out in the middle of nowhere, with no distractions, I was able to finish. An air compressor is essential to us when you count all the tires that we have to monitor & maintain. The truck has 6 plus a spare, the trailer has 6 plus a spare, & 2 motorcycles add 4 more for a grand total of 18 tires. Think about trying do put air in tires at a gas station. These days most don't have air pumps or charge for it, they don't have 50 plus feet of hose to get around our "tractor-trailer" size rig, & I probably couldn't even pull in without causing a major blockage for the other patrons.

Monday was laundry day so we made the trek into town. Laundry, groceries, driving there & back, & we are home in just under 5 hours. The hazards of living out in the middle of nowhere. The peace & quiet makes it worth while, we just have to plan our excursions a little in advance. We may go into town again soon. We are looking at new phones. Our old ones are taking a beating. Screens are scratched, keys are becoming temperamental, & everyone likes new things so it's time. We need our phones on the road to keep in touch with the rest of the world & for emergencies. I don't know how travelers did it before cell phones. I guess every previous generation seem like pioneers to the next.

Well today is going to be a cold, rainy, lazy day just relaxing & lying around our home on this mountain in Greenville VA because.......

Home is where we park it,
Frank & Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment